Topic 4: Four Cities, Small work


The Four Cities reading allowed us to pick one city and develop a piece based on the materials and mood the city gave you. My pick was Sophronia, and while I found different concepts that caught my interest, I kept coming back to an email Kathleen sent us, with some advice on how to approach the assignment. Every time I thought or reread the city of my choosing, I thought of actually feeling the materials, and how they made me feel.

So the opportunity arose for me to break away from my usual train of thought and started separating myself from my original ideas. Instead, I was intrigued by the act of actually touching stone, marble, metal cages, cement and sand.

 I created a small interactive piece using those same four materials. It was turned into a blind test of sorts, with a guide and a specific set of actions to be done. A lot of my classmates seem to have enjoyed that approach , as I received a lot of feedback and advice on it.


Comments